Virgin Mobile is a prepaid cell phone company that runs on Sprint network. It has approximately 8 million users. Virgin Mobile is known for the many features which it provides on its prepaid cell phone plans. Apart from the great prices, it also offers low international calling rates for those people who have friends and relatives in other country and unlimited music streaming on selected applications.
Sprint has three prepaid brands, namely-Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile and Assurance. At times, the network may not be as good as expected in the rural areas. However, it has a good coverage in urban areas. If you are thinking to get a Virgin Mobile connection make sure that you get a new cell phone as it is quite clear about the kind of devices allowed on its Sprint network.
Virgin Mobile uses Sprint’s network. It operates on two major frequencies:
- 800 MHz- CDMA technology
- 1900 MHz- 1 RTT, EVDO, and LTE high-speed data technology
Virgin Mobile Cell Phone Plans
There are two main types of plans provided to the user. They are:
- payLo Plans-good for users who focus mainly on calls and text. Good for basic phone users.
- Virgin Mobile Unlimited-It was previously called as Beyond Talk. It is good for users who focus mainly on data usage. Good for smartphone users.
Apart from these plans, Wal-Mart offers Data Done Right Plans. It allows the customers to customize the plans according to their wish by selecting their own talk and text plan, combining them with the add-ons, international calling feature, extra data and multiple lines.
You can use Virgin Mobile Unlimited Samsung Rumor 2 and Kyocera Loft on payLo plan. You can use payLo Kyocera S2300, LG Flare, Samsung M340/Mantra, Kyocera TNT and Kyocera JAX on Virgin Mobile Unlimited.
|Plan||Monthly Price (plus sales tax)||Voice||Text/MMS||Data|
|Talk (monthly)||$20/month||400 min||15ɸ/25ɸ each||$1.50/MB|
|Talk & Text (monthly)||$30/month||1500 min||1500/25ɸ||30 MB|
|Unlimited Talk & Text (monthly)||$40/month||Unlimited||Unlimited/Unlimited||50 MB|
NOTE: All the plans have coverage rates. Voice-10ɸ/min, SMS-15ɸ/text, Data-$1.50/MB
Virgin Mobile Unlimited Plans:
|Plan||Monthly Price (plus sales tax)||Voice||Text/MMS||Data|
|Unlimited 30||$30/month||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited 500 MB HS|
|Unlimited 40||$40/month||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited 4 GB HS|
|Unlimited 60||$60/month||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited 6 GB HS|
- After high speed (HS) data is used, speed is reduced to 128Kbps or below for the rest of your month. Additional high speed data is available at $5 for 1 GB or $10 for 2 GB. Add on data is good for 30 days.
- If a particular plan is changed by the operator or expired, then the existing users are permitted to keep using their old plan as long as they want. This benefit is only applicable if your plan does not expire as a result of non-payment.
International Minutes and Messages
You can contact your friends and relatives in other countries as Virgin Mobile offers low international calling rates. The international add-on packages are as follows:
|$5/month||Unlimited calls to Canada and to Mexico landlines.||Unlimited international text messaging.|
|$10/month||Unlimited calls to Canada and landlines in 70+ countries. 1000 minutes to Mexican mobile numbers.||Unlimited international text messaging.|
Per Use International Voice Rates:
|International Calling Rate|
NOTE: All the plans charge 15ɸ each for international text. However, you will not be charged for receiving international text. International MMS facility is not provided.
Virgin Mobile’s Network
Virgin Mobile allows 4 G LTE high-speed data on its Sprint network. After you complete the allotted high speed data before the completion of the plan length, you will be switched over to unlimited 2 G speeds for the rest of your billing cycle. At times, the network may not be as good as expected in the rural areas. However, it has a good coverage in urban areas. According to RootMetrics report and PC Mag’s Fastest Mobile Networks 2015,”the Sprint’s network is improving in the urban areas”.
If you are thinking to get a Virgin Mobile connection make sure that you get a new cell phone as it is quite clear about the kind of devices allowed on its Sprint network. It does not allow you to use any unlocked phone or a cell phone from other carriers.
Where to Buy Virgin Mobile
You can easily get a new Virgin Mobile phone from Sprint stores, Best Buy, Target, RadioShack, Costco, Wal-Mart, online or from any supermarket or independent mobile phone stores.
How to Activate Virgin Mobile
The entire activation process is free. You can activate online by visiting its website at www.virginmobileusa.com or offline by calling 1-888-322-1122 from another cell phone.
You can refill by refill cards and PINs which are available at Sprint stores, many big box retailers and independent mobile stores. The denominations are $20, $30, $35, $40, $45 and $55. Direct to phone real time refills from $10 to $90 are also available. You can get a payLo refill card and use it on Virgin Mobile Unlimited plan and vice-versa.
You can refill your account using credit card or debit card or PIN in three ways:
- Online via My Account option at virginmobileusa.com
- Call VM from your Virgin Mobile cell phone
- Call 1-888-322-1122 from another cell phone
Virgin Mobile Account Management
You can inspect your account for account balance, account expiration time, view call logs, add PINs or to make payments online or calling VM or calling the customer care 1-888-322-1122 from another cell phone. Your monthly cell phone plan gets renewed on the same day every month. Insufficient funds in your account will suspend the service and after 120 days of non-renewal, your account and number will be terminated.
- To forward unanswered calls only (conditional call forwarding):This feature is not supported.
- To forward all calls to another number:This feature is not supported.
- Call Waiting: Call waiting feature is supported. When you are talking to one person over the phone then, you can receive another call which can be recognized by a short alert tone. Charges are applicable for both the calls.
- To answer Call Waiting:Press “SEND” to put the first call on hold; this will automatically connect you to the second call. If you wish to return to the first call, press “SEND” again. To toggle between the two calls, press “SEND.”
- 3-Way Calling: This feature is not supported.
- “Secret” Codes: You can check your phone number, MSID, ESN, MEID, PRL, call counters, data counters, and version numbers by dialing ##786# (applicable for most phones).
Virgin Mobile Customer Service Information
- You can get free information service calls by dialing the following numbers: 611 – Virgin Mobile customer care 711 – Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) for the hearing and speech impaired 911 – Emergency services
Codes like 211, 311 and 511 are not free on Virgin Mobile.
- Phone Support: You can avail phone support by calling VM from your phone or calling 1-888-322-1122 from another cell phone. This service is available from 4am -7pm on all days of the week. To quickly reach a live operator, press 5 at the first prompt to choose an option and then press 0 three times at the second prompt.
Virgin Mobile Comparison on Price
|Carriers||1 GB or Less||2-4 GB||5-6 GB||10 GB||Unlimited|
|AT&T GoPhone||$30 (talk and text only)||$45 (3GB)||$60 (6GB)|
|Boost Mobile||$30 (1GB)||$35 (2GB)
|$50 (video streaming in standard definition only)|
|Cricket Wireless||$25 (talk and text only)
|$40 (2.5GB)||$50 (5GB)||$60 (10GB)
|MetroPCS||$25 (talk and text only)
|$40 (3GB)||$50 (5GB)||$60|
|Sprint Prepaid||$35 (1GB)||$45 (3GB)||$55 (6GB)|
|Straight Talk Wireless||$30 (1,500 minutes, unlimited texts and 100MB data)||$45 (5GB)||$55 (10GB)|
|T-Mobile Prepaid||$25 (talk and text only)
$30 (100 minutes, unlimited text; 5GB data at up to 4G speeds, drops to 2G speeds after)
|$40 (3GB – Simply Prepaid)
$50 (2GB – Simple Choice prepaid)
|$50 (5GB – Simply prepaid)
$65 (6GB – Simple Choice prepaid)
|$60 (10GB – Simply Prepaid)
$65 (6GB – Simple Choice prepaid)
|Verizon Prepaid||$30 (basic and feature phones only; unlimited data)
$30 (smartphones; no data included)
|Virgin Mobile||$30 (500MB)||$40 (4GB)||$60 (6GB)|
Virgin Mobile Comparison on Features
|Carrier||Auto Pay Discount||Bonus Data||Family Plans||Unlimited Music Streaming||Mobile Hotspot||International Calls & Texts|
|Straight Talk Wireless||X||X||X+|
Asterisk sign (*) indicate features available for an additional charge.
Virgin Mobile Features
Auto Pay Discount: This feature is not supported.
Family Plans: This feature has been discontinued.
Unlimited 2 G: After you complete the allotted high-speed data before the completion of the plan length, you will be switched over to unlimited 2 G speeds for the rest of your billing cycle.
Unlimited Music Streaming: Unlimited music streaming is allowed on certain apps like iHeart Radio, Pandora, Slacker Radio, 8tracks and Milk Music; applicable on monthly plans on $35 and above.
BYOD: Only Virgin Mobile phones may be used as Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is not supported.
Mobile Hot Spot: You can access this feature by purchasing any Virgin Mobile Unlimited plan.
Is Virgin Mobile Right for You?
You can opt for this network carrier as it has got a lot of features at the good price. Unlimited music streaming and a mobile hot spot is also offered. However, you will have to buy a new phone because of its compatibility issues of the network.